Choosing artwork for your home can be a daunting task and selecting art to compliment bare walls that need a hint of color can take years. Interior decorators, gallery owners and art connoisseurs have an innate flair when choosing the perfect piece of art for a particular space. However, for most, this talent does not come easy. We find that one of the questions that clients ask us the most, is “how can I find the perfect piece of artwork for my home?”
The first thing to keep in mind, is that art is an investment that grows in value over time. In addition, the artwork that you choose, should appeal to you. However, finding the perfect piece based on interior settings requires expertise and advice.
By rule of thumb, every home should reflect its owner’s personality. And second, the artwork that you choose for your living space will differ from the bedroom, kitchen and bathroom. Paintings and artwork should have an aesthetic appeal, but also ignite emotion relevant to the space.
We always tell our clients to choose artworks that they are passionate about. Size and interior architectural design are always secondary considerations.
We have compiled tips and expert advice, on how to choose the right piece of artwork for every space in your home.
What to consider when choosing artwork for your home
The first considerations when choosing artwork are tied to choosing a piece of artwork that you love. The piece should speak to you and inspire you. Then, factor in:
- Floor plan
- And theme
Understand what your space needs first, before going on a search. Keep in mind that artwork creates a personality for your home. Think about what senses do you want to evoke when choosing a piece of art?
Rules of live by, when choosing artwork for your home
Artwork for your home should appeal to you, and compliment the space. However, remember that the space can always be adapted and interior décor can be tweaked if you find a piece that you fall in love with. Here are tips when choosing artwork for your home:
- Choose what you love. Select paintings and works of art that you personally love, that inspire you. After all, you will be seeing the piece every day.
- Get to know the artist. If you find a piece of art that you like, get to know the artist, his / her inspiration and their style.
- Understand the style or era of the artwork, because it may become a conversation piece when you have guests over.
- Try it in the space before finalizing the purchase. Paintings may look great in a gallery setting or online. However, visualizing it in the space can help you make your choice. When buying artwork online, take a picture of the space, and Photoshop the painting on the wall. This can give you an idea of how the final piece will look and compliment the space.
Remember that all artwork has a story to tell and that story becomes your own, when you bring art into your home.
Perfect artwork for the living room
The living room or salon can be the most fun space to decorate, but also the most difficult. The living room is where you entertain guests and the artwork can give off a sense of your character and personality. It will be the piece that guests see the most and conversations can be made around striking pieces of art.
You should consider what emotions or feelings you want the space to evoke. Do you want a more comfortable setting? Then choose somber and pastel tones. Do you want a striking conversation piece? Contemporary art with bright colors might be the way to go. Is your home décor modern or classical? The artwork should reflect the style of the space.
Finding the perfect painting for the bedroom
The bedroom is where you retreat to, after a long day. It is a place for relaxation and should be where you unwind. Artwork in the bedroom is typically placed either above the bed or on the wall facing the bed. Lighter tones and abstract paintings, are advisable. Definitely choose soothing tones for the eye.
Artwork for your home office
If you have a home office, choosing the right artwork can help you brighten up the space. Choose pieces that reflect your personality and your line of work. Find a piece of art that inspires your work and flow of ideas. However, ensure the piece of art is not a distraction for you, by placing pieces of art behind you in your home office.
If you fancy artwork in your bathroom
Depending on the size and layout of your bathroom, you may find a bare wall that could use a hint of color. The bathroom is perhaps the most neglected room and many homeowners do not bother finding art to suit it. For guest bathrooms, choose fun and brighter pieces that suit the tiles and wall color. The master bath on the other hand, should have softer tones and more abstract pieces of art.
What color of artwork should you choose for your home?
Here is a color guide, when selecting art for your home:
- The main piece of artwork that you choose for your home, should have a background color that matches the wall color.
- Find a complimentary shade. There are many tools online that help you match colors nicely.
- Keep the color scheme limited to four colors. Make sure each of the main colors in the room complement one another.
- Steer clear from neon shades, as they may be difficult to look at, over time.
Advice on choosing the size of the artwork
If you are wondering what the perfect size of artwork for your home is, read on.
- Measure the space, to know what size of artwork can fit in your home
- Keep in mind the height of the ceiling. If you have low ceilings, do not purchase large pieces of artwork, as they can make the room look crammed.
- If you have a big bare wall, choose a bigger statement piece. Having a tiny piece of art on a wall can make it go unnoticed.
- Factor in at least 15 to 20 centimeters above your piece of furniture, to hang the piece of artwork.
At Bellamysworld, we offer expert advice to our clients when choosing artwork. Get in touch with us here.